The school’s SEND Co is Laura Davies, Assistant Head Inclusion, contactable on 01709 543664 or via e-mail

At The Grange Trust we uphold every child’s right to education and recognise the diverse educational needs within our community. We acknowledge those needs may change and require a range of provision. We believe we have a duty to offer that provision where we can, to foster inclusion and provide full educational access to all children.

Some children need increased support to access learning because:

  1. they have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age;
  2. they have a disability as defined under the Equality Act, which affects their ability to access and benefit from the educational opportunities generally enjoyed by children of the same age.
  3. SEND is categorized into four areas and we use the 2014 Code of Practice to help us identify the need and then follow the graduated response provided by Rotherham LA which states how to best support different needs. The four areas are Physical, Social, Emotional and Mental Health, Cognition & Learning
  4. Communication and Interaction.

To ensure that any barriers to equal access in our school are removed or overcome we monitor and track the progress of all children so that the support provided is as effective as possible.  We welcome the full engagement of parents and carers and will,  where necessary seek support and advice from specialists outside school to ensure we develop and maintain a range of flexible resources to meet the needs of all our children.

What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?

  • Talk to their class teacher about their progress and raise your concerns
  • If your concerns continue, arrange a meeting to talk to the SENDco about next steps – e-mail or ring Bramley Grange Primary School to arrange the appointment

How does Bramley Grange identify SEND pupils?

  • Because we track the progress of all children half termly, we quickly notice if there is an area where a pupil is struggling and can then
  • Class teachers will raise the concern with the SENDCo and your child’s progress will be monitored and different strategies and support used
  • Should we have a concern then we will contact you as parent/carer to discuss it and agree the next steps
  • Our staff have up to date training so that they are able to raise concerns

How does Bramley Grange support a child with SEND?

  1. A) Quality First Teaching – this is from the class teacher who’s responsibility it is to target teaching to meet the needs of each child in their class

They will use different styles and approaches so that your child is fully involved in their learning.

  1. B) Specific group work – this is targeted to support children who have struggled with a particular area of learning. These are delivered by the Teaching assistants who are specially trained in either Literacy or Numeracy Your child will be closely monitored you will be involved in setting targets for their monitoring plan.
  2. C) Implementing Strategies from outside agencies – . These agencies will carry out specific assessments and then suggest extra strategies which can be used to support your child in class. You will be asked for permission before they work with your child and the work that they do will be shared with you. School will implement these and their effectiveness will be reviewed termly, along with new targets being set.
  3. D) One to One support- should your child need constant support, they will have an Education, Health and Care Plan. This will state exactly what their needs are and how best to support them to access the curriculum fully. Outside agencies will be involved and the support will be fully reviewed yearly, with ther review meetings in between
  4. E) Whatever your child’s need, support is available from the appropriate agency and SENDCo and adjustments will be made for them to access school fully alongside their peers. To enable this, regular review meetings will be held as we welcome insights and support from parents so that we can work in partnership with them. The list below is not exhaustive but does show some of the specific support we offer for identified special needs.

Autism Individual Visual timetable if needed

Quiet areas within the classroom

Advice from ACT

  • Access to Inclusion Support service for teaching and learning strategies
  • Advice available from Educational Psychology Service
  • Pastoral Support within school from a specially trained– Teaching assistant
  • Adjustments to school behaviour policies to meet individual needs
  • Access to family support worker ( from Early Help) for whole family support work with Children’s Development Centre ( CDC) for under5s
  • If needed, individual 1-1 support in class to support access to aspects of the curriculum children find difficult
  • Access to School Nurse if appropriate
  • Enhanced transition throughout school and on into secondary school
  • Inclusive environment which encourages and supports the child to take part in all aspects of school life including learning to play an instrument and residential visits ( adjustments mad as necessary)

Hearing Impaired

Resource Base provides additional specialist support Support with using hearing aids – radio aids are used Staff (and pupils) who sign All staff are deaf aware Inclusive approach Pre and post-teaching of specific vocabulary and concepts Personal Understanding of Deafness Visual Impaired

Resources with larger print

  • Specialist equipment as advised by VI service Difficulties with Literacy including Dyslexia (specific need)
  • Specially trained TA
  • Advice from IST
  • Differentiated curriculum
  • SEMH Pastoral support from specially trained TA in small groups or 1-1
  • Pastoral support based around outside activities either 1-1 or in small groups ( includes gardening)
  • Advice from SEMH team
  • Moderate Learning need
  • Additional visual resources to support so activities can be accessed independently
  • Differentiated activities in class
  • Practical and visual approaches to support learning
  • Adult support to prompt and encourage

Who at Bramley Grange is involved in supporting your child with their SEND?

Bramley Grange  Class Teacher  –

  • Reviews progress your child is making half termly
  • Plans and teaches, matching activities to your child’s ability to ensure that they are progressing
  • Sets targets to ensure that your child is making progress
  • Ensures that the school’s SEND policy is followed in the classroom

Bramley Grange School SENDCo –

  • Supports teachers to provide the most appropriate strategies to teach your child
  • Monitors targeted interventions which are delivered to help pupils to develop their understanding in Literacy and Numeracy.
  • Liaises with outside support agencies so that children can be assessed for particular needs and targeted support is then implemented.
  • Constantly involved in monitoring progress of your child and setting targets

Head Teacher

  • As part of their role for managing school they are responsible for overseeing SEND
  • Makes sure that the Governing Body is kept abreast of SEND matters

SEND Governor

  • Oversees the work of the SENDCo in school and monitors the progress of the SEND pupils.
  • Reviews data of the SEND pupils termly

What SEND training have staff had or are having?

All staff have deaf awareness training to support the children who are integrated into class from  the Resource Base. All staff have SEND training from speacilists. . If a pupil joins our school with a specific need, we will ensure that staff working directly with them have had the appropriate training.

How is extra support allocated to children with SEND ?

The school budget, received from Rotherham LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.  The amount received is proportional to the number of children with SEND and the severity of their needs.

A provision map of need is drawn up so that support is allocated to the children across school. This is dependent on current need and is reviewed half termly.

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND at Bramley Grange?

Referrals will be made to any of the following agencies if needed for an individual pupil. As parents will be consulted about this and the outcomes will be shared with you.

  • Inclusion Support Services
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Support Team ( SEMH)
  • Educational Psychology team
  • ACT (Autism Support)
  • Hearing Impairment Team
  • Visual Impairment Team
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Speech and Language Team ( SALT)
  • School Nurse
  • CAMHS- (Mental Health Support and Assessment)
  • CDC -Child Development Centre for children under 5

What support do we have for you as a parent with a child with SEND?

Regular meetings are held to discuss how your child is progressing at school, both academically and socially. Progress and strategies from outside agencies will be shared and reviewed.  Your views and your child’s views will always be included to ensure that we are working in partnership. Should you need additional support at home we can refer you to Early Help for a Family Support Worker

How is Bramley Grange  Primary School Accessible to children with SEND?

Currently, we have a three-year accessibility plan which we are following to ensure that the whole school is available and safe to all pupils. This plan is in line with schedule 10 of the Equality Act and the SEND Code of Practice.

Pupils who have a physical disability will have bespoke individual care plans in place to identify how they will be supported to move around the site. We work closely with outside agencies and parents to develop these.

The school is equipped with disabled toilets with a changing bed should they be needed. Grab rails are in place by the steps.

How will children be included on school trips and activities outside the classroom.?

All children are entitled to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this a trip is both safe and successful. A risk assessment is always carried out before any off-site trip to ensure that we can out in place the necessary support and provide appropriate equipment.

How is behaviour supported at Bramley Grange?

We have a clear behaviour policy which is consistently implemented by all staff for all pupils. Should a child be struggling to meet our expectations, then pastoral support will be provided to help them, If needed then a Behaviour Support Plan identifying specific strategies will be agreed between parents and staff. This will be implemented by all staff in school It will be reviewed and updated regularly.

How will Bramley Grange support your child when they are leaving this school or moving to another class?

When moving year groups, all children will visit their next class teacher before that summer and will then spend a couple of weeks in their new class. Those in y6 who are leaving us will complete transition programmes with their next school . We have close links to Wickersely and pupils with SEND will be able to access an  enhanced transition programme and complete extra visits from the Christmas before they leave,

If your child has an EHCP an Annual review will be held to discuss which school can meet their needs best met from Year 7 onwards.

What emotional and social development does Bramley Grange provide for children with SEND?

As a school we deliver regular PSHE lessons for all children. These include work around relationships and managing our emotions as well as how to keep safe in today’s society.

For children who need extra support with managing their emotions, we have a specially trained TA to provide pastoral support. We also take advice from the Social, Emotional and Mental Health Team.

What support does Bramley Grange have for children with medical needs?

Should your child need regular medicine, then we can administer this provided you complete the necessary forms available at reception. If your child needs a care plan, this will be drawn up with the school nurse, parents and SENDco and regularly reviewed.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Alternatively, you can call us on: 01709 543 664